Opportunism

In my current line of work, opportunism has presented itself more in the past year than in any other job or experience I've had in my life. At the bar I work at we have a tip out system that is based on highest sales made, this was pushed by our owner to increase total sales of the bar and to encourage bartenders to bring their friends out to the bar. Now there are two distinct ways that I have seen opportunism present in the workplace. The first one would be serving someone who is clearly ordering for an underage patron. While technically legal since the purchasing party is 21 and with clear incentive to take the sale to receive the extra sales, this opportunity presents itself a staggering amount on most nights and for 95% of cases, I do not serve them. Although the chance of getting caught is not exceedingly common, the risk of getting fired and fined by the Champaign police department are enough deterrents for me to avoid the situation completely. The other case of opportunism present is to continually serve a person who is clearly too drunk. This is also very common in the night and is an easy way to rack up sales due to the lack of inhibition shown by people who are intoxicated, but in similar fashion to the first case, the risk of the situation greatly out values the added money to my tip out. Over intoxication is not a matter to be joked around with and the punishment for over serving can often times be more taxing on your conscience than your wallet. After a recent loss of a close friend due to him being over served and not walked home, I refuse to put anyone in the same situation.

Comments

  1. This post is late, as we discussed these matters in class today. It is also well below the required word limit - 600 words. While I did say in class that I wanted people to catch up, I wanted to see real effort with that. I'm not seeing it here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conflict Resolution

Organization and Transaction Costs

Biography